The Village Montessori Pre-, Primary and High School was established in 1992 and is registered with the Gauteng Education Department as an Independent School. The school is located on an agricultural holding of approximately 1.3 hectares. The school is based on the Montessori principles as compiled by Maria Montessori, a well known Italian educator. The basis of the method is the viewpoint that each child has an innate desire to learn. The prerequisite to learning taking place is the existence of a prepared environment where the child can be directed and not taught.
- Holistic education that aims to meet the needs of the pupils academically, physically and emotionally.
- The prepared environment contains Montessori didactic equipment which allows concrete experiences of concepts.
- We encourage understanding through a questioning mind.
- Classes are small and consist of a mixed age group, fostering a community spirit and ensuring that the needs of every child are met.
- Outings enrich childrenâ€™s experiences and the Primary and High School children go on an annual camp.
- Chess is offered as a subject to all Grade 1 to 7 children.
- French or Zulu is offered as third language to all Primary School children.
The examination body for our Junior High School is the Independent Examinations Board (IEB). From 2010 the examination body for our High School will be the Cambridge International Examination Board. The school is a member of the South African Montessori Association.
Holiday care is provided at differentiated rates from 7:00 to 17:30 for Preschool and Primary school children. No holiday care is provided during the mid-term breaks and after 15 December.
- Aftercare is provided until 17:30.
- A cooked lunch can be provided on request.
- We have a three term year.
- No school uniform is prescribed. Children have to be dressed in an acceptable fashion.
- We encourage healthy eating and therefore have a strict food policy.
- A variety of extra-mural activities are offered.
- A five percent discount is granted on siblingâ€™s fees and ten percent discount on fees paid in full before 31 January.
- Three monthâ€™s written notice is required in the event of a child leaving the school.
Parental commitment to Montessori education is imperative. Parents need to reinforce the methods used at school at home as well. Parents are expected to familiarise themselves with the methodology by reading up and attending information sessions.